Friday, May 13, 2011

Stairs

I'd forgotten how many stairs were here, and how lonely they make me feel. Deeply inhaling the air as I wander aimlessly. No specific destination in mind; just forward. I briefly stop to admire the art, but my journey's far from over. There's much to see and lots to do. There's no time to stop for long.

I don't remember why I came here, or for that matter, how. But I do know it's where I belong. One, two, three...the stairs only multiply. Looking ahead, it seems as though they go on forever. But I must keep moving.

In a darkened corridor sits a lonely looking couch. It appears to be comfortable, but I've been walking for what seems like days, so anything will do. I stop to take a rest; just a short one. But the couch is so comfortable and warm. It feels like home, if only I could remember where home was. My lids grow heavy as my mind grows foggy. It's as if the couch is whispering to me.
 
"Everything will be just fine."
"Stay a while."
"Tell me about yourself."

I begin to tell my story, but I quickly realize I don't remember what it is. Frantically I search my mind for memories I don't seem to possess. I no longer feel like sleeping. I have to keep going.

"Stay with me."
"Don't leave."
"I need you."

I'm afraid, but I feel pity for this lonely couch. I too am alone, and I know the despair it feels. I begin to relax again, when I remember that this is just a couch. It becomes hard and lumpy. I notice a spring peek through the cushoin. I must go. I can no longer stay.

"Don't go!"
"Stay!"
"I need you!"

The yelling grows faint as I run toward the stairs. I must continue on. No more stops. They only prove to hinder my journey. I will not stop again. I know better than to make the same mistake twice. Walking and walking. All I do is walk, but I know that I'm going somewhere. I just don't know where. And I don't know why. But I know that when I arrive I will be welcomed.

So I keep climbing. Just a few more stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment